The liver flush, in a simpler version, was first used during the 1920's as a means of improving liver function and removing gallstones. The acids in the juice soften the gallstones, the magnesium in the Epsom salts relaxes the sphincters of the gall bladder and bile duct, and the oil causes a strong contraction of the gallbladder and liver which forces out stored wastes and stones. The wastes and stones are then excreted out of the body.
The liver and gall bladder flush is an important detoxifying agent which will help restore the normal functional capacity of these organs. Listed below are the steps that should be followed:
- Monday through Saturday noon, drink as much apple juice or cider as your appetite will permit in addition to regular meals and any supplements that may have been prescribed. The juice should preferably be organic and free of preservatives. Dilute the apple juice or cider: 1 part juice to 1 part water. Try to drink a half gallon a day, minimum. Add 2 tablespoons of Standard Process “Phosfood” Liquid to each gallon of juice. This will increase the bile softening strength of the juice.
- At noon on Saturday, you should eat a normal lunch.
- Three hours later, take 2 teaspoons of Epsom salts that are dissolved in 2 oz. of hot water. The taste may be objectionable and may be followed by a little citrus juice. (Preferably fresh squeezed.)
- You may have grapefruit, grapefruit juice or other citrus fruits or juices for your evening meal.
- At bedtime, you may have one of the following:
- One half cup of virgin cold pressed olive oil followed by a small glass of citrus juice.
- One half cup of warm, virgin cold pressed olive oil blended with a half cup of citrus juice.
- (It is best to buy organic oil and juice if possible. Fresh juice is also preferred, but canned or bottled is permitted.)
- Following step 5, you should go immediately to bed and lie on your right side with your right knee pulled up close to your chest for 30 minutes.
- The next morning, one hour before breakfast, take 2 teaspoons of Epsom salts dissolved in two ounces of hot water.
- Be sure to continue with your normal diet and prescribed supplements.
Some patients have occasionally reported slight to moderate nausea when taking the olive oil and juice mixture. The nausea is due to the release of stored toxins from the gall bladder and liver. To us it is a good sign that the flush is working. Occasionally, vomiting may occur and is not a sign for alarm. Both nausea and vomiting should pass after a few hours.
Patients that suffer from gallstones, nausea, indigestion, etc. may find small gallstone type objects in their stool the next day. The objects are light green to dark green in color, irregular in shape, gelatinous in texture, and vary in size. Please report your results to the Doctor.
WARNING: Prior to initiating any dietary or nutritional change or program it is important for families to understand that each individual may have their own unique response or responses. Families are encouraged to investigate and evaluate any dietary change or recommendation prior to its implementation and should understand that they are incorporating these recipes, protocols or supplements at their own risk. As with anything that may effect an individuals well being a physician should be consulted prior to its implementation. It is in no way a medical prescription but based upon personal experience.